Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The power of Words – Vows, Compacts, Covenants


My wife, Remi Messenger, keeps a cutting about the Iraq War, which describes a decision of the Rumsfeld-Bush Administration, she finds especially galling.
It is about the Vow the soldier takes on joining the US Army.
Called the Soldier’s Creed, the Vow used to be:-

“I am an American soldier,
No matter what situation I am in,
I will never do anything for pleasure,
profit or personal safety,
which will disgrace my uniform.
I will use every means I have,
Even beyond the line of duty
To restrain my army comrades
From actions disgraceful
To themselves and the uniform.”

Army research and intelligence concludes that this vow inspired soldiers and marines, even in a hostile occupation, to be patient, confidence-building, and winners of hearts and minds. As well as the “necessary warfare”, it also led to building roads and bridges, and forging links with tribal and community leaders.
--
But this was not good to the “shock and awe” mentality of Rumsfeld and Bush.
They changed the Vow to a “stirring” one called the Warrior Ethos, the wording of which is as follows: -

“ I am an American Soldier
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I stand ready to deploy
Engage and destroy,
the enemies of the United States of America
in close combat.”

With predictable results.

Such is the power of the Vow.

(The original story was from the Sunday Times of London. My wife’s copy was from the The Australian of Sept 25, 06, p.11)

No comments: